Yes, it is true! I am soon off to Antarctica. "What?!? Why?!?" you ask....ahh yes....let me tell you. I am, actually, heading down there to work. No, I won't be doing the scientific research that goes on down there (I wish I was that cool), but I will be doing a support job to help the whole McMurdo Station community/facility of the National Science Foundation function smoothly.
I first found out about this whole Antarctica thing last winter while working up at Schweitzer Resort. I had never considered or even heard of working in Antarctica before. Not in my wildest dreams (or nightmares) did I EVER think I would be going there! One of the resort shuttle bus drivers, that I rode up and down the mountain with every day for work, flippantly mentioned once, in one of our chats, that he had travelled to Hawaii after working in Antarctica. As he went on to talk about Hawaii, I was like, "Hold on...wait...what? You worked in Antarctica???" The rest of the ride up the mountain he filled me in on what goes on down there and at the end of the bus ride, he said, "You should definately apply to work down there. You totally seem like the type to go." I got off the bus saying, "Yeah, um... maybe I'll look into it," not really thinking that I actually would.
The rest of that day, week and on, I really couldn't get the whole idea out of my head; this adventurous opportunity to go do this thing that so few people do. Over the following few weeks, I met 2 other people up on the mountain that had worked there (how weird)! It seemed like the subject of Antarctica was now coming up everywhere. So then I kinda started to get excited and thought I would at least try to apply and see what might happen. I also tried to recruit any and everyone to come too! How fun would that be? Go to Antarctica with a group of friends? People seemed interested, or at least pretended to be. My good friend, Stephanie, at least, went to the point of applying with me, (thanks Steph) but realized as interviews were coming up that winter weather really wasn't her thing (she's actually in Australia right now, enjoying the more tropical summer weather:)
I had applied for number of random positions, a few I felt qualified for and a few I wasn't qualified for. I was able to land 3 interviews. They were all phone interviews, the first of which I had while I was travelling in Israel last spring (skype is so amazing). After the first 2 interviews, I was called back for both and offered "alternate positions." This means that if the primary person hired over me for the position drops out along the way or fails to pass some of the medical/dental/drug screenings, then the alternate (I) would be called upon to go. Both of these jobs I was offered were lower on the totem pole type jobs (not so appealing) and I really wasn't wanting to be an alternate not knowing if I would be going or not and still have to jump through all the million hoops as if you were going. So, my 3rd interview was for a Vehicle Operator position (basically a shuttle service to get people and cargo around the science station village and to the airfields). Judging from the interview, this definitely seemed like a better job than the other two and was higher paying as well. I didn't really feel super confident after the 1 1/2 hr. long interview. I don't have any experience driving passenger vehicles and I felt like the odds were definitely not in my favor to get this job. At this point in the process I was like, "Ok, God. I need some direction from you here. First off, I don't know if you even WANT me to go to Antarctica. Second, I don't know IF I even want to go. Third, I'm not even sure I CAN go. So, as a confirmation for me, if I am supposed to even pursue this anymore, could these be the signs...." 1) get a primary position 2) at McMurdo Station 3) get the Vehicle Operator position. A week later I received a call and was offered all three of those things! I was totally shocked, not expecting to he hired while also feeling a bit like, "Oh, crap, what the heck did I just get myself into?"
So here I am just days away from flying out to work for Raytheon Polar Services, down in Antarctica, at McMurdo Station, as a Vehicle Operator for about 4 months. I am curiously excited to see what this whole Antarctica thing is all about, what goes on down there, and what kind of people actually do this. I am having my moments of nervousness as the departure day gets closer. This will be my first real solo adventure, after all, but I also feel very optimistic and peaceful overall. Oh, and I forgot to mention the cherry on top of this whole cake...I will have the opportunity to extend my ticket and stay some time in New Zealand on the way home in the spring!! I am also planning to add on a few weeks up to Australia as well. Yes, this definitely helped to tip the scales in my deciding to do this whole adventure:)
I would very much appreciate your prayers for me as I head down under the land down under. I need some extra warmth, quick job learning skills, continued peace, good friends and roommate(s), health and safety, and lots of mail from home (note the address on the sidebar)!!! Thanks for taking the time to read this. I hope I can keep you somewhat entertained in the coming months with my posts as I try to communicate what it is like in the Antarctic! Life is really taking me to the ends of the earth!

So excited for you!!!! ~ Julie Behnke
ReplyDeleteYeah Elisha! So glad that you wrote your "Antarctica" story and are going to keep us up with the going's on of penguins and such... just kidding. ;) But what an adventure! I am looking forward to hearing your stories. Praying that you are bathed in prayer and that God will provide for your sanity, sustenance, and a few great friends!
ReplyDeleteBlessings.
Shannon Mintz
Sis! I'm so excited for you! Although it is kinda of funny that you didn't start this earlier for all of your other trips. But Im gonna miss you! We will have a Christmas when you get back, no worries!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you are going to blog your adventures. I will be looking forward to hearing all about them.
ReplyDeleteOkay,Elisha. So glad you made it. We are excitedly waiting for the next edition of your blog. gma-d
ReplyDelete