Saturday, January 28, 2012

1/2 Marathon in Antarctica

An official participant with a number and all!
I was told  by one of my co-workers at our orientation in Denver that they have a marathon and half marathon down here in Antarctica.  He had asked if I run and if I would want to do it?  I told him that I do run, sometimes, but not that far (maybe like 3 miles at a time).  So, when I came I was definitely thinking I WOULD NOT be participating in any sort of marathon.  But.....when I got here and was talking about it with some friends I started to, sort of, warm up to the idea of the half just as a challenge and an opportunity to do it in Antarctica of all places.  The most I have ever run at one time before has been about 6.5 miles and that was some years ago.  I was pretty much "on the fence" about doing it up to the day of the race.  I went as far as to sign up for the half marathon but I figured I could always bow out if I didn't feel up to it.  Also, weather was a big factor for me.  If the weather was really windy and extra cold I wasn't going to be interested being out in that.

Well, the day of the race came, which was "night" for me being on the night shift right now, and the weather looked pretty good.  Sunny, not too cold, and only light winds.  One of the hardest parts of trying to do any running outdoors here is trying to figure out what to wear!  There is such a balance of dressing so you will be warm but also not wearing so much so that you would get too hot or be so encumbered to run.  I dressed in layers and brought along extra stuff to add if I needed to. 

 All the participants were loaded into a big bus and were driven out to the snow road that I drive everyday out to the airfield.  The road is 14 miles long so it is "perfect" for doing a full or half marathon.  The full marathon started at the 1 mile marker and ran to the 14 mile marker and back.  The half marathon started at the 14 mile marker and ran back 1 mile marker.  When I got out to the starting line, it felt much colder than it had in town and there was a bit more wind than I had thought.  Getting off the warm bus and into the cold was rough, I was freezing.  I put on more clothes at that point, better to be too warm on the way than too cold.  Once I got going running, I was able to warm up.  I had to shed layers a bit along the way.  Really, my only goal in the race was to try and actually run the whole time, but even that goal was flexible for me, ha ha!  I was actually surprised at how good I felt most of the way.  Of course there were the little aches and pains that seemed to shift around my joints but for the most part I felt pretty good. There were a few other girls that I was running along with the majority of the race which helped me to pace myself.  There were about 3 aid stations along the way that had drinks and snacks.  One station was barbecuing hamburgers and brats and they tried to get people to stop along the way, tempting us with couches, food and beer.  I didn't give into it because I didn't want to run the 6 miles more with a hamburger in my stomach. (I did get a ride back to that station after finishing because then I was ready for a burger or brat!)

At the last aid station with about 2 miles to go, I was informed that I was in second place for the women and one guy pointed to my friend Melanie, who was in the lead, and said, "You can catch her!" Some competitive spark ignited in me and my goal shifted from just finishing to possibly going for first place.  My pace quickened at that point.  Melanie is also a very competitive person, more competitive than I, with a collegiate track and field history so I knew it would be a challenge to catch her.  I few times I caught up to her and was going to pass but she would kick it in gear and pull ahead again.  I tried a couple times but she apparently wasn't going to let that happen.  I was attempting this over a 2 miles stretch so I also didn't want to run out of energy and have to walk trying to make my move to get in the lead.  On the home stretch I was only slightly behind Mel and I considered breaking into a sprint to go for first, which I knew she would most likely sprint too and not give up.  I visualized and  pictured myself probably slipping on the ice/snow and taking a crash in doing so I decided against it.  Plus, I knew that Mel really wanted to win at that point and I didn't really need to try and take that from her, making a big scene and possibly failing (or falling) anyway, to try and prove some point to myself or whoever. I didn't start out thinking I would even come close to winning or anything.  I was happy just to finish having run the whole way and since it probably was more important to Mel I was content to jog in what came to only 7 seconds behind her.  I ran it in 2:10:51; second place, not too bad for a first time.  Both first and second place were rewarded with a massage gift certificate in New Zealand.  I will definitely be cashing in on that one!

So, one more thing to add to my life list of things I have done in my life.  1/2 marathon in Antarctica!
Just about half way there. I'm in the middle of the 3 tall girls.
At the starting line.
Mel and I before the race.

3 comments:

  1. Elisha, you are amazing! If you have a bucket list, I'm not sure you'll have anything left once you leave the Antarctic!

    ReplyDelete